As we all know, cooking and baking without standard ingredients can be a challenge. Although there is no connection between a gluten allergy and an egg allergy, I will sometimes get asked what can be substituted for eggs. I came across four different things one can try when baking without eggs. Here they are:
1) 3 tablespoons of applesauce + 1 teaspoon of baking powder
2) FLAX GEL - 1 tablespoon of flax meal + 3 tablespoons of hot water. Let it stand for 10 min. and use without straining
3) Use EnerG egg replacer according to directions
4) 4 tablespoons of pureed tofu + 1 teaspoon baking powder
5) When your recipes includes baking soda and/or baking powder, one Tablespoon of apple-cider-vinegar per egg does wonders to give it a lift, just like an egg. There is an airy chemical reaction between the acid (apple cider vinegar) and the base (baking soda). Add the flax gel too, to hold it all together. Our Make - a Cake Mix is ideal to use with this method.
6) Bean water, aqua-faba, (the thick liquid that cooked beans win in) does wonders as an egg substitute for certain type of baked goods, like our Buckwheat Bread Mix. It didn't work well with our cake mix.
Did you know that baking powder contains corn starch? You can make your own "corn starch free" baking powder by starting with baking soda and adding a small amount of Cream of Tartar?